- February 8, 2019
- Comments: 0
- Posted by: admin
Udvartan is one of the best therapy in Ayuredic treatments for weight loss. It is a deep tissue massage using ayurvedic herbal powders.
In this procedure, the body may be coated with herbal oils and then herbal powders called Choornams are rubbed forcibly on the body in the upward direction. The massage techniaues are performed by applying suitable pressure so as to break down the fat under the skin.The herbal powder is applied and the massage is done for about 60 minutes. This is concluded by complete rest of half an hour in steam therapy followed by bath.
By generating heat through massage, this treatment melts the excess fat that is accumalated in the body. It improves the blood circulation, rejuvenates the body and improves skin texture. Certain skin diseases can be treated with Udvartan.
There are mainly two types of Udvartanam
- Snigadh or Sneha
Snigadh Udvartan is massage with dry powder and medicated oils. This type of massage is very helpful in improving the skin texture and is recommended for skin rejuvenation and certain skin diseases. Ruksha Udvartan is done only with dry powders. Since the massage is rough and dry, it helps in reducing weight and kapha Dosha.
There are many benefits of Udvartan. Some of them are stated below:
- Helpful in calming the Kapha Dosha
- Reduces the excess fat accumalation in the skin
- Strengthens the muscles by toning them and exfoliates the dead cells in the skin
- Improves blood circulation which leads to reduction in cholesterol and helps in achieving a good rate of metabolism
- The joints become more flexible
- Eliminates body odor
- Also beneficial in treating Rheumatoid Arthritis as it reduces Kapha and Ama
However , Udvartan should be avoided in the folliwing cases:
- Dry Skin and skin with cuts and other injuries. People suffering from eczema
- Pregnant women and children under 10
- Post Ayurvedic Panchakarma
Udvartan is an excellent therapy for weight loss but the results of such massage vary from person to person. After thoroughly analysing the lifestyle pattern of the person cooncerned, therapist chooses a combination of herbs and oils that would yield the specific resulta one is looking for.
A holistic approach to weight loss goes a long way in maintaining good health. It is generally recommended to follow a balanced diet along with regular physical exercises. Avoid a sedentary lifestyle and include walking or any form of physical activity as part of a daily routine. Yoga helps in maintaining the perfect mind-body balance. All these along with Udvartan helps in weight loss.