7 Ayurvedic Tips To Prevent Cough And Cold
- Cold and cough are most common during season change.
- Medicines are available to treat and manage the condition but many people prefer to choose home remedies like steam and gargle.
- According to Ayurveda certain foods can also help to prevent as well as recover from cold and cough faster.
Some of the common symptoms are listed below:
- Running or Blocked Nose.
- Sore/ Scratchy throat
- Muscle Aches
- Loss of Appetite.
- Mild fever with chills.
Ayurvedic Tips for Preventing Cough and Cold Tulsi
- Tulsi is highly beneficial in eliminating dry cough.
- It is one of the best treatments of cough in Ayurveda.
- Tulsi is also known as the ‘Mother Medicine of Nature’ or holi basil.
- Consumption of Tulsi leaves boosts the production of antibodies in the body, helping it fight infections.
- Tulsi leaves are safe to consume and can be used in the following ways:
- Chewing 4-5 leaves in the morning
- Take tulsi tea
- Add tulsi leaves to kadha.
- Ginger is a well-known Ayurvedic treatment for cough and cold.
- It can be taken in fresh form or as dry form as ginger powder.
- When taken with honey it helps in treating cold and cough fast.
- Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties.
- It is an effective remedy for treating cough.
- Ginger can be taken in many ways, such as:
- Ginger tea is a fast Ayurvedic remedy for colds.
- Add slices of ginger in tea to boiling water then strain and pour it into a cup.
- Take grated ginger to a tablespoon of honey and swallow.
- People can add black pepper for additional effect.
- Honey is an excellent medicine for the treatment of cough in Ayurveda.
- It has antimicrobial properties.
- Honey seriously helps loosen mucus and provides relief from chest congestion.
- That’s why it is present in many non-alcohol-based cough syrups.
- Honey is a complete pleasure for the tongue and throat.
- Some ways to consume honey are:
- Take a spoonful of honey twice a day to ease cough.
- Mixing it with ginger juice
- Adding honey to tea or kadha.
- Giloy has gained a lot of popularity in India in recent times as an Ayurvedic treatment for cold.
- Giloy is a plant with heart-shaped leaves also known as Guduchi or Amrita.
- Giloy helps to treat tonsillitis.
- It has anti-inflammatory property that boost immunity.
- Goly can be consumed in the following ways:
- People can buy Giloy juice from the market.
- Giloy tablets are easily available in medical shops
- Adding in a kadha.
- Mulethi is a bitter-tasting herb.
- It has anti-inflammatory and expectorant properties
- It help in thinning the mucus inside the airways.
- This give relief from cough and congestion.
- People Can Have Muethi in the Following Ways:
- Adding mulethi powder to warm water
- gargling with mulethi extract
- Adding it to tea or kadha.
- Pippali is among the best treatments for cough in Ayurveda.
- It is used in the box of garam masala at homes.
- Pippali is hot in nature
- it has expectorant property that helps in loosen the mucus and provides relief from congestion.
- It provides help in relieving headaches and other problems related to the common cold.
- People can have Pippali in the Following Ways:
- Take pippali powder to a spoon of honey and swallow it
- Add it to kadha and drink after straining.
- Garlic has antimicrobial and antiviral properties
- It an excellent remedy for treating common cold.
Prevention & Self Care
- Inhale steam to relieve a stuffed nose.
- Strengthen your immune system with amla and tulsi and keep yourself healthy.
- Do not over heat the room. Let the body lose heat naturally.
- Keep away from others who are infected with cold.
- Eat a well-balanced diet and get enough rest.
- Take plenty of hot beverages.